Welcome to the world of colonial nesting birds. Visitors have an opportunity to monitor the nesting activities of American White Pelicans, Double Crested Cormorants, Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons, and Ring-billed Gulls all located on two islands called South and North Cormorant Island. Currently there is no sound.
Camera is offline for the season. Come back in April for the next nesting season.
This history is only for the colony utilizing the cormorant islands. Pelicans are regularly using 3 additional islands.
- 2007 – First recorded nesting in Iowa. 50 chicks fledged.
- 2008 – 200 chicks fledged.
- 2009 – First recorded nesting in Illinois. 200 chicks fledged.
- 2010 – 500 chicks fledged
- 2011 – 800 chicks fledged
- 2012 – 750 chicks fledged
- 2013 – 930 chicks fledged
- 2014 – 650 chicks fledged
- 2015 – 475 chicks fledged (Majority of the pelicans were using Pelican Island which is located just south of this island)